Sunday 29 November 2015

Ruglud's Armoured Orcs - The Spike-Can Commandos

So a month after orctober finished here is my finished project for the celebration of all that is orc: Ruglud's Armoured Orcs - The Spike-Can Commandos.

I tried to tread the middle path between doing a direct homage to the original paint scheme from the box and painting them to fit with my own orcs.


 Here is the front row arranged with a frontage of six. I ty was important to me to use the Arcane armorials for the shields  as these really are part of the original look and they fit in so well with the spike can commandos' back story. Another part of the story is the fact they wear plundered chaos armour so I have given a few of the pieces a nice green ink wash. Present on the originals but not as strong.

 The next row shows even more shield designs, these are the original transferes scanned and printed onto sticky paper, then painted over the top. original post on this here, I can't believe this was in 2012!
 I have used my own orc skin tones and usual basing form my orc army but I believe they enough like the original paint jobs to show I tired.



 The back row, I've used the same shield designs as on the original box, though not the same doubles out of preference.


From above the games eye view. The original box had seventeen of the commandos, I have hundreds of these guys so i may paint up a few more.




One of my favourite figures is the musician/shaman  Bambrag. And I've just noticed a big splodge of brown on the troopers shoulder from highlighting the crossbow. How embarrassing.


 Rudlug and Gudruck Bonechewer. I get confused between the two. In the story, Rudlug manages to get his helmet stuck on his head like the orc with the two handed sword but in the stats write up Rudlug has two hand weapons. I've always used the two hand weapons orc as Rudlug but where is his helmet!

15 comments:

  1. They look brilliant, top job! I've got Bambrag, Gudruk and one trooper in the collection so far, one day I'll have the regiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The troopers are relatively easy to pick up cheaply then the missing command should cost no more than £5 at top price. They only cost more when you have the lot sold together with the box.

      Delete
    2. Lovely stuff, cheers mate, I'll keep my eye out!

      Delete
  2. Love them and the variety in shields, that must have taken you ages !, I don't have the courage for such folly !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shields were printed and stuck on with a bit of painting over the top so not ages but thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  3. Two messages in one week... Tell me what happen? Somebody force you to paint? ...Sorry :)
    Ruglud and his boyz are in every old school minds, weel done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nico, I'm enjoying my painting at the moment, long may it last!

      Delete
  4. Really striking paint job, nice and colourful, but still orcy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that was an awfully long time ago with the tutorial Erny :D

    I better not say anything though, I'm not very punctual with my projects either.

    They look great buddy, ready to smash some stunties faces in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep these guys with crossbows and heavy armour are great abainst stunties.

      Delete
  6. Great looking old skool figs, Nice!

    ReplyDelete